How do we identify children with Special Educational needs and Disability?

How does Hardwicke Parochial Primary Academy know/identify children that have Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)?

Hardwicke Parochial Primary School identify pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) in line with the new Special educational needs and disability code of practice: 0-25 years which can be viewed via the following link:

The new code of practice states that:

‘A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

• has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or

• has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions’

Our school aims to identify children with SEND as soon as possible after they arrive, whether starting in Reception, or moving from another school. The SEN Code of Practice 2014 sets out a graduated response to meeting children’s special educational needs. A child may be identified as having SEND if their age-related attainment is below national expectations or if they are not making expected progress despite attempts made by the class teacher to use various methods or strategies with the pupil. (see SEND Policy) LINK

What are the first steps our school will take if special educational needs are identified?

The school will inform parents if they are concerned about a pupil’s progress. The SENDCO (Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator) may become involved to plan appropriate intervention and/or refer the pupil to other agencies (where necessary and following parental consent). A plan will be put into place and reviewed regularly to ensure that the needs of the pupil are being met.

What should parents/carers do if they think their child has SEND? How can they raise concerns?

Parents should initially discuss their concerns with the class teacher. They can also contact the SENDCo for further advice.