How will our school teach and support children with SEND?

How will our school teach and support children with SEND?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff)  are in place to support your child to learn.

  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

    All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.

  • Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.                    This group, often called Intervention groups by schools, may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.

  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.


  • Specified Individual support

    This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/AHT Inclusion as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (more than 10 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

  • Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Specialist teachers from the Advisory Teaching Service (ATS)

  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

    For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support currently provided by the school.

  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 10 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an EHC Plan.

  • The Statement or EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.

  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

    This type of support is available for children whose  learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong

Need more than 10 hours of support in school